A history that goes back to the founding of Kansas and is bound up in the early days of the Civil War.
May 30, 1854
Created territiories of Kansas & Nebraska. Settlers moved to Kansas to declare it a Free State.
June 2, 1856
Battle of Black Jack 3 miles east of Palmyra, first skirmish of the Civil War
February 12, 1858
Charter signed for Baker University and land donated to start it - what would become Baldwin City
Old Castle was the first stone building of Baker University open for business
January 29, 1861
Kansas becomes a state.
August 21, 1863
Quantrill raids Lawrence and exits just west and south of Baldwin City
First depot built at west end of Elm St. in anticipation of railroad completion.
September 20-24, 1870
Baldwin City finally incorporated
April 5, 1889
Mayor Lucy Sweet Sullivan and all women city council elected
October 5, 1900
Baldwin Telephone Company made the first phone call
Current depot built for passengers, not just freight
February 5, 1907
First Electric Power plant built - still in use at 605 High Street.
September 24, 1911
President William Taft arrived by train, spoke at Baker University, stayed overnight at the Osmon Markham house now the Zeta Chi Fraternity House.
September 21, 1912
Teddy Roosevelt made a "whistle stop" at the Baldwin Depot while on a campaign tour on the train.
Actress Elizabeth Taylor passed through Baldwin and stopped to eat at Oak Lodge south of junction
October 20-21, 1958
First Maple Leaf Festival held.
October 23, 1996
Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, visits Baldwin for the dedication of Osborn Chapel.